Educational Benefits

Office of Student Financial Aid
 The Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) processes your benefits. While they are unaffiliated with the VA, this is the line of communication between the university and the VA in regards to tuition benefits and compensation. This should be your first stop when you first arrive on campus and the office to contact if you have questions or issues about your benefits. For basic information about all chapters of benefits, please utilize the OSFA website.

-Basic info on all federal veterans education benefits:

-Basic info on all State of Illinois education benefits:

-How to begin using your benefits as a new student or transfer student:

Other Federal Financial Aid Programs

Monetary Award Program (MAP). The MAP is awarded by the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) and is designed to pay tuition and basic fees.

Federal Pell Grant. This grant is designed to help pay college-related expenses. The exact dollar award is determined by the student’s class load and the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as calculated by the federal government.

A Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) federal law, effective for the 2012/13 school year, limits the amount students can receive in the Federal Pell Grant awards. All Pell Grant awards received, regardless of location, are included in the LEU limit.

Because the new Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) some students may already be ineligible to receive 100% of the award.

The limit is 6 years of full time attendance and is prorated for part time students. Calculations are based on 600% of annual awards. When you’re awarded a Pell Grant, you are given a maximum annual Pell Grant award. If you attend full time for two semesters you receive 100% of the award. If you attend half time for two semesters you receive 50% of the award. Each semester you receive a percentage. When that total reaches 600% you’re no longer eligible for the grant.

To receive the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant you must also receive the Pell Grant, when you reach the limit you aren’t eligible for either grant.

Check the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) for your student load history. You’ll need your federal PIN to access your history – it’s the same one you use to sign on your FAFSA.

There are no exceptions to the Lifetime Eligibility Used and it isn’t possible to appeal.

 Federal Work-Study (FWS). As a campus-based program, FWS is awarded through the Office of Financial Aid in the form of part-time employment. Students who participate generally work from 10-20 hours per week and are paid twice a month. The actual FWS award is based on loan limits that are currently in place. 

Tutor Assistance

The Department of Veteran Affairs offers a supplemental tutoring services for those student veterans utilizing VA education benefits. The monthly rate of tutorial assistance may not exceed the cost of tutoring or $100. The maximum amount payable is $1,200. There is no entitlement charge for the first $600 under the Montgomery GI Bill. There is no entitlement charge under the Port-9/11 GI Bill or DEA.

Requirements: The individual must be utilizing one of the following VA Education Benefits (Ch. 33 Post 9/11, Ch. 30 MGIB, Ch. 1606 MGIB-SR, Ch. 35 DEA; this entitlement is not covered under Ch. 1607 REAP). The student must be in a post-secondary program ½-time or more. For Ch. 33, rate of pursuit must be “at least 50%.”

 For more information and to receive documents, please contact the Academic Services Coordinator at the Center for Wounded Veterans in Higher Education (CWVHE)